“If you want to be happy , set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy, and inspires your hope” Andrew Carnegie. I truly believe that when a person wakes up with a defined purpose and goals in sight he is a much happier person. Goals push us to do great things and allow us to grow in many aspects of life. It’s when we master the ability to clearly set goals and achieve them we begin to reach our full potential.
When setting/achieving goals it helps me when I clearly understand the 4 Ws; Who, Why, Where, When.
- Who- who am I doing this for? Is it for yourself? Are you doing it for your wife and kids? Siblings? When things get tough and you picture The who (reason you started the goal) it can help motivate you to keep pushing.
- Why-why am I doing this? Have you ever set a goal and a couple weeks later you ask yourself why am I doing this? The why of your goal has to be extremely strong and clear from day 1. The why helps you push through fear, distractions, and tough times.
- Where- where is this goal taking me? Have a clear vision and direction of where this goal is going to take you. Sometimes a goal takes you to a place that sets you up for you next big goal and adventure in life. “To the person who does not know where he wants to go there is no favorable wind” Seneca.
- When- when I am going to finish this goal. It’s always good to have an end date in mind. Also continue to ask yourself how can I achieve my goal even faster? Just cause you have an end date in mind doesn’t mean you can’t speed up the process.
3 Daily tips on achieving your goals
- Write your goals down on your mirror. If your goal is to have a six pack by June write it on your mirror every morning. Write down I WILL have a six pack by June. Say to yourself as many times in your mind throughout the day “I will have a Six pack by June.”
- Everyday make a to do list of 3 things you can achieve that day to help you get closer to your goal. If you do 3 things everyday to get closer to your goal you will reach your goal before you know it.
- Visualize your reward! This is one of the strongest tools for me in achieving my goals. I love to go on a beach vacation with my wife every year and this is a big motivating factor for me. During tough times I close my eyes and picture me laying on the beach recovery and relaxing from all my hard work.
The last thing is to believe in yourself and understand that with hard work and involving God in your process you can make anything happen! Sometimes all we need is just a little belief in ourselves. “You can have anything you want if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be, do anything you set out to accomplish if you hold to that desire with singleness of purpose” Abraham Lincoln.
Have a happy and healthy day,
Kyle and Shea Collinsworth
Purchase #AIRMORMON SHIRTS below