I want to be forever young… we all know the song and we all know the feeling of wanting to stay young and last forever. We can’t stay young forever but we can slow down the process of aging with a few nutritional tips. One anti-aging super food might surprise you. It’s my secret sauce.
What is Bone Broth?
It’s a very nutritious broth that is made from animal bones (chicken, beef, lamb, and fish). The bones are placed into a crock pot filled with 12 cups of water with vegetables, spices, and herbs. The bones are simmered for at least 8 hours and all the nutrients fall off the bones and into the water, which turns into broth.
Why is it healthy?
When the bones simmer they release collagen, gelatin, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. The collagen and gelatin are very important at helping improve joint and bone health.
What are the health benefits?
Bone broth has shown to strengthen joints and bones, reduce inflammation, heal leaky cut syndrome, make you look younger, and even promote sleep.
- Joints and bones. If you were to find a supplement at a health food store to help improve your joints you would be recommended to buy glucosamine and chondroitin. Bone broth is an amazing natural way to get both of these. The amino acids found in the broth also help recover and repair the tissue and joints in the body.
- Reduces inflammation. Bone broth contains many amino acids that help reduce inflammation. The main two found in bone broth are glycine and proline.
- Heals leaky cut syndrome. Gelatin found in Bone Broth helps in the lining of the stomach. A possible cause of leaky gut is increased intestinal permeability or intestinal hyper permeability. That could happen when tight junctions in the gut, which control what passes through the lining of the small intestine, don’t work properly. That could let substances leak into the bloodstream (WebMD).
- Promotes sleep. The Glycine found in bone broth has been proven to help promote better sleep.
- Makes You Look Younger.The Collagen found in bone broth helps your hair and nails grow by keep them strong. The collagen also helps the skin stay young and healthy.
Why should an athlete take Bone Broth?
Being an athlete the stronger your joints and bones are the less chance you have of getting injured. When you are young your joints and bones feel good, but as you keep playing into your twenties and beyond at a high level your joints and bones began to take a beating. If you start using bone broth at a younger age your body will be more prepared and ready to take on your twenties and thirties and even forties as a professional athlete
During my time with the Dallas Mavericks I noticed guys like Dirk Nowitzki and all the veteran players were using a Gelatin powder View here that they would mix with a Vitamin C Emergen-C packet. The Gelatin found in this powder is also found in bone broth. This gelatin powder can be better used on the go if you don’t have time to make your own bone broth. Click on the link to purchase.
-2 tablespoons gelatin powder mixed with Emergen-C packet in 160z water
How to make Bone broth
- Find a local butcher to buy grass fed bones. When I lived in Utah I would go to Carson Meats in Lehi and I would buy a bag of grass fed bones and it would last me at least a month if not longer.
- Make sure you have a crock pot or slow pressure cooker
- Find a recipe online that you like (like this one).
If I could pick one food to write about that has the most health benefits for an athlete it would for sure be bone broth. This really is “my secret stuff.” Try having a one-cup of bone broth everyday for 2 weeks and you will feel a huge difference with your body.
Comment back with your experiences with bone broth or with any additional information you know about bone broth!